Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sunday

I stayed home all day today. It is cold, really cold for here; in the low teens this morning and not even close to above freezing today. So, I stayed in, kept the fire going in the woodstove, fixed a Key Lime pie, rosemary bread, scalloped potatoes and a roast for dinner and did some reading and Ebay listing.


We have three outdoor cats and even though they have incredibly thick long hair and are used to being outdoors, it is exceptionally cold, so last night I made them a bed on the front porch with an old sleeping bag and extra blankets. They seemed to like it; this morning they were all curled up together, but I decided to improve upon it. So I made a top by using two folding chairs, a board and another blanket. I think it will keep them even warmer since they are now completely enclosed.
(I don't know where the other two cats are...Jamie seemed to be the only one taking advantage of the new accomodations.)


I go back to work tomorrow but the students don't come until Tuesday. It's great having Monday for a workday because I didn't bring one single bit of work home for over the holidays. Which is unbelievable for me because I am always thinking about my job. But I wanted to have a vacation where I didn't need to think about it and in fact, the other day I was having trouble remembering my student's names......

A word about laziness. I have always thought of myself as lazy. I do work really hard at my job and on other projects that I choose to do but sometimes it takes me a long time to finish things. And I rarely ever seem to accomplish as much as I want to do. Or think I should do. Days go by when I don't do anything at all except read, lay on the couch, surf the web or watch reruns of Law and Order.

But I have been thinking that maybe I am not so lazy as I am just undisciplined. I don't seem to have any trouble giving myself permission to goof off. I think I need to look for a balance between working really hard and not doing anything at all. It seems to be feast or famine with me. Part of why I am writing this blog is my attempt to insert some discipline into my life. Maybe it will help. I hope so.



A picture of my den with both windows and the curtains I put up yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment