Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day Two

I stayed up too late last night so I got up at 10:00 this morning with high hopes of maybe cleaning/organizing my bedroom. It didn't happen.

I did hem a new pair of curtains for my living room/den. They came from Ikea (I love Ikea) and match the pair I already had. I had used one pair for two windows with each panel pulled to the side. I wasn't happy with it so I bought another pair to actually hang a full pair at each window.

My den is a big wooden box. The walls are oak boards and the floor is oak and it is all stained the same color, so the effect is less than overwhelming. Or it is overwhelming...just too much wood. So I am always looking for ways to soften it and add more color and variety. I think the new curtains look nice.

Word of caution: when you buy curtains from Ikea and you plan to shorten them; do NOT measure from the bottom; take the extra time and trouble and measure from the top. Ikea leaves the bottom of their curtains unhemmed and they include a handy iron-on hemming strip with each pair so that you can easily customize the length. BUT the curtains are likely to be different lengths, so if you measure from the bottom (as I did to start) you may end up with curtains of different lengths. Just a word of advice.

So, I neglected to send out Christmas cards this year. Again. I bought them. I composed a very short newsy update to include. But I never sent them out. Instead I created and printed a New Year's card complete with my short newsy update, finished addressing the envelopes and have the cards ready to mail. Except that I need stamps. I put my coat on over my jammies and headed down to the mailbox to leave a check for the mail carrier in hopes that he would have stamps today. No luck, because as I started down my driveway, the mail carrier was pulling away. There was no way I could catch him, so the letters are sitting by my computer, sans stamps. I will have to actually go to the post office on Monday.

I cleaned out the guinea pig cage and as I was washing my hands a car pulled up. It was an acquaintance of my husband's who had brought a friend by to visit, only mi esposo was not present since he had gone to run an errand. I invited them in our nice warm house (it is really cold outside) and we chatted while waiting for Neal to return. In between chatting and checking on the soup I was fixing for dinner, I wondered if these two men found it curious that I was in my pajamas.

After dinner I finished putting together a shelf I bought at (where else) Ikea. This is part of my reorganizing of our back hall. Last week I put together a bench with compartments for shoes but the shelf did not go together as smoothly. I had to set it aside until later...which was today. Using my new screwdrivers and drill bits that I got for Christmas and with some help from Neal and Sarah, I finished assembling the shelf and got it mounted. It has a double row of hooks, a shelf and compartments so it will prove to be much more useful than the single board with Shaker pegs that it replaced.

I would post pictures of all of these things but it seems that the card readers and USB ports on my computer are not working. So now I get to figure out what is wrong with them...NOW...I really want to post the photos!

UPDATE:
Thanks to following Dell's on-line help topics my card reader magically appeared! So, here are the photos from today's projects.
Here is one of my windows with the full pair of curtains. I took this without the flash to reflect the warmth that I see when I look at my den.


















Here are pictures of the shelf w/compartments, the bench with shoes and the two together. It's wonderful now that we do not have shoes strewn about everywhere. Especially since I am prone to tripping over them in the night.


































No comments:

Post a Comment