Monday, January 4, 2010

First Day Back at Work

This was the first day back at work for me; it was an optional workday, but I chose to work since I didn't bring any work home over the holidays. I got a fair amount done, but never enough and I have to finish my lesson plans tonight.

I also sold several items on Ebay (some Spode Christmas tablecloths, Spode tea kettle and some Waechtersbach china) so I have to package some of those up and take them to the post office tomorrow. When I sell something I like to ship it as quickly as I can after receiving the money so that people receive their packages quickly.

I went to the postoffice today to mail my New Year's cards and also to send a package. Since I was right down the street from my friends the Pachecos I decided to stop and give them the caramel popcorn and jar of muffin mix that I made for them for Christmas. I had been carrying it around in my car for the last week. Unfortunantly they were not there, so I left it. They called later to thank me and it was nice to talk to them.

Soooo...big news for today....it is cold, cold, cold. When I got home from work the ashes were very deep in the wood stove and no one had kept the fire going. I don't like working all day and coming home to find that no one has kept the fire going; now it will take the rest of the evening to catch up. Anne has been in Asheville for a week but now that she is home, she'll take care of it.

I am curious as to how my students will be tomorrow. Usually after a vacation they seem eager to return to school and to the routine. I have some criers this year and I wonder if they will cry after being at home for two weeks. I hope not.

We have lots of fun activities planned for the next few weeks. We will be studying about winter, weather and clothing, so I stocked the dramatic play area with scarves, hats, coats, gloves, etc. Of course, there are a couple of sparkly fantasy outfits in there as well!

Rachel said that Jason's job interview (in DC) went well today and he will know by Friday. I do so want for him to get a job in DC! He is one of three contenders out of 280 applicants...he would be great at the job. If he gets it, then there are two other people that won't get hired, but I am going to feel selfish and I really hope he gets it.

Tomorrow Rachel has an interview for an internship; the project she would be working with is called Paper to Pearls and it is an initiative where Ugandan women refugess make these beautiful beaded necklaces out of paper! They are finished with an acrylic and they look like glass. They are really lovely and with the money they earn, the women are able to feed and clothe their families, and even buy extras. It is a wonderful program and I think it is very empowering for women to know that they can support their families.

I am hoping for the best for both Rachel and Jason.

Now back to lesson plans......

No comments:

Post a Comment