Friday, January 1, 2010

January 1, 2010

Today is the first day of my life as a blogger. This is my New Year's resolution; to write every single day.

I don't like getting to the end of the year and not really being able to remember what I did during the year. Today I was at a party and someone remarked that they had seen me there last year on New Year's Day, only I don't think I was there....I'm pretty sure I went kayaking that day. Anyway, I guess what I really want is a record of my life. A searchable, organized record of my life.

I can't really hand write a journal because I have carpal tunnel syndrome and it's hard to write a lot. And my handwriting is messy and hard to read. So it was pretty much a given that I would type my journal. But why make it public? To be honest with myself, I don't know. I just did. So. I don't really intend to put deeply personal material in this blog or to use it to vent or pour out my deepest feelings; I just want it to be a record of sorts.

So, today, Jan. 1, 2010 I begin my life as a blogger and I am committing to writing something every day, even if it is just a sentence.

I feel hopeful today. This is not just a new year but a new decade. This is the decade in which I will retire, although near the end of the decade, but this is the one.

The last few years have been difficult and I have high hopes for continued improvement and that the difficulties and heartache I have experienced will be left behind. For a while.

Today I went to the annual Carlin/Smith Household New Year's Day party. People came to visit, eat and play music. I didn't take my bass but I did take food. I saw Alice G., Tom M., Lynn M and his girlfriend Cindy, Debbie and Aaron M., Rich H., Steve T. and their friend Ralph. That's about it.

Alice told me about her new 8 month old puppy, Willie, and we discussed the current energy situation. We agreed that we like to see the giant windmills that some people think are so ugly because it represents renewable power. We moved on to the health care crisis and discussed how angry we are about the poor insurance and high prices that everyone must pay for the poor insurance. It is a somewhat hopeless feeling that our elected officials care more about politics and money that actually working together to create a solution that works. Oh well....

Now my daughter Sarah is cooking split pea soup and it smells good; a Law and Order:SVU marathon is on television; there is a fire in the woodstove in the den and the Christmas tree is still up with it's colorful and welcoming lights. So, it is goodbye computer and hello comfy couch.

Here is to 2010. Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment