Saturday, January 9, 2010

Breaking Up Christmas

There is an old-time song called Breaking Up Christmas, originating from the mountain custom of having a party to end the period of Christmas celebrations, coinciding roughly with Epiphany. With the end of the Christmas season, came a return to regular life. I already returned to work from Christmas break, but today I took down the Christmas tree.

As they are for many families, the ornaments on our tree are special. There are ornaments that I made in the early years of our marriage, when we didn't have much money to spend on decorations; there are ornaments that the girls and I have made in school or at home over the years; there are ornaments that we have received as gifts and there are ornaments that I have collected.

So really, our tree is a story of our lives reflecting our travels, hobbies and growth over the years. I found myself thinking about the ornaments as I took them down; the places where they had been purchased, the people who had bought or made them, and I begin to reflect on our life as a family.

This year at Christmas, Rachel had just finished her first semester of grad school; when I take the tree down next year, she'll be beginning her last semester. Her boyfriend is close to finding a job so that he can join her. What will life bring for them a year from now?

Next year Sarah will be finishing up her last semester in her quest for a second bachelor's degree. What will her future bring?

Anne has been home for a little more than three months now. After a difficult last few years with the many challenges she has faced, is she getting ready to move forward? What changes are ahead for her?

And Neal; after spending 2 1/2 years to get his Associates degree, he too is seeking a new direction, a new job after working a lifetime for his family.

Maybe there are family members and friends who won't be with us next year; we can be certain that our lives will change in the coming year, for better or for worse. I don't know which. Maybe some of both.

If I could see into the future, would I want to? I don't think so. Sometimes it is tempting to know what lay ahead but I think I'll just take life as it comes, say a prayer and hope for the best.








No comments:

Post a Comment