Sunday, February 14, 2010

I Forgot to Post...

I made it for a month and a half before I actually forgot to post. I had thought about it earlier in the day and didn't; then I was tired from all the candy making I did yesterday and other stuff too, and just hit the couch and didn't get back on the computer.

So, the candy. I made salted caramels dipped in dark chocolate, raspberry truffles and toffee bites. Now I don't even want to see or taste candy and my hubby bought me a box of candy for Valentine's Day!

The candy making was labor intensive and not that satisfying, so I doubt I will ever do it again except for the caramels. And I won't dip them in chocolate, I'll put the chocolate in them.

So, I had a conversation with my mom yesterday. She said that she didn't really like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. all that much. She said that she knew he had done some good things but she didn't like all his womanizing. Then she proceeded to tell me that she heard Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie had broken up and how she was so sad to hear it because she really liked them.

I didn't want to point out to her the ridiculousness of her statements...well, I did, but there is no convincing my mom of anything, so let me sort this out. She doesn't like MLK, Jr, who left some of the most compelling writing and work in civil rights in the history of our country, because he was unfaithful to his wife. But, she likes two movie stars who, between the two of them, have been involved in drug use, bisexuality, kinky sex, and adultery but because they give lots of money to good causes and have adopted a bunch of kids they are ok, and MLK, Jr isn't?

I hate to say this about my own mother but I think this type of thinking typifies what is really, really wrong with our country...misplaced values. People who sit home and watch American Idol but don't vote; people who are involved with television shows but don't know who their elected officials are or what their government is doing; people who believe the soundbites that come out of anyone...liberal or conservative or who pass forwarded crap around on the internet.

This kind of thinking is what keeps our country from being what our founding fathers wanted it to be. Thomas Jefferson had a point when he said that common men shouldn't have the vote because they didn't have time to keep up with the issues. I almost agree with that.

However, according to his thinking, I wouldn't have had the vote either, so I can't totally go along with it. But, I get what he was saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment