Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Eve

I neglected to post last night, New Year's Eve Eve. We traveled back from Ocracoke and Neal wanted to stop and eat at Cracker Barrel. He really wanted to stop and eat there! Normally when I am traveling home from the 1:30 ferry to Swan Quarter, I go through a drive-in b/c it takes me till 8:30 or 9:00 and I get tired driving. But, as I said, he really, really wanted to eat at Cracker Barrel; it just seemed so important to him, so we did stopped at Rocky Mount. I had chicken and dumplings (or as it should have been called, a small amount of chicken with hard hunks of dough), carrots and turnip greens. I love greens. I really love them. But not at Cracker Barrel. I don't know what they do to them, other than putting what looks like some country ham in them, but I almost immediately got heartburn. It's roughly a 2 1/2 hour or less home from Rocky Mount so I drove the rest of the way in intense discomfort.

Cracker Barrel is just a very interesting place. It's the kind of place to go when you want a large quantity of filling food without spending a lot of money. Oh, and you have to listen to country music. The only good thing about Cracker Barrel is that they have a wood-burning fireplace for cold weather but we weren't anywhere near it. As we were leaving, Neal said "That was good." I replied, "No, it wasn't good. It was edible; there is a difference."

So home now, posting with a cat on my lap. We are going to Steve and Penny Kilby's house in Mouth of Wilson, VA for a New Year's Eve party tonight but right now I am going to Waffle House, courtesy of Daughter #3 who has a craving. Let's hope the food is better than Cracker Barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment