Friday, March 19, 2010

Rachel's Paper

Rachel called tonight and we talked for a long time. I was trying to help her sound out ideas for a paper she has to write involving the Church and charity. One of the ideas I had was that that we know what the recipients get out of the charity the Church shows, but what do the vounteers/employees of charitable institutions receive?

Anyway, I hope that talking can help; it is good to have someone to bounce ideas off of.

Tomorrow I am going to help Bob C. for a couple of hours. He had a hip replacement a little more than a week ago. His wife and son will be gone for the day and he still can't do everything by himself, so I am going to help out.

And what am I getting out of that? The pleasure of knowing that I can help out a friend who needs me. I really believe that what goes around comes around and I am not expecting a return on my gift of time, but I just believe that by being helpful it creates positive energy in the world.

I really believe that all good things come from God and by doing good works, you are setting God's love in motion for the rest of the world.

And, it is good to feel needed. There has to be a balance because some people don't feel useful unless someone needs them. I am quite happy to not be needed most of the time, but I think that it is a sad person who never has any obligations or demands/requests for their time.

Speaking of demands for time, I am going to demand that I get off of the computer and probably eat ice cream for supper and then read and go to bed. I actually finished my lesson plans at work because I have so many assessments/progress reports to do over the weekend that I needed to at least get the plans out of the way before leaving work. BUT, tonight is mine just to read and enjoy myself.

So, goodbye and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment